miércoles, 3 de octubre de 2007

Estoy en La Paz


Hello from the city that takes your breath away!

I wanted to let you all know that I arrived safely in La Paz, Bolivia very early this morning and am staying at Hotel Majestic, not a very accurate title, but adequate accomodations. The four story elevator really helps while I am trying to acclimate to 13,300 ft. Actually the acclimation has not been bad so far, it is only challenging when I climb up steep streets like the one I am staying on. It was also only 32 degrees F when I arrived. The people are very kind, I feel safe and thankfully no men are hitting on me!!!

I took a long nap and then walked around town sampling the cinnamon ice cream in a beautiful plaza (Plaza Murillo) where all the Bolivians were hanging out during the sunny and warmer afternoon. I even saw a recently married couple walking around for pictures and people singing Celito Lindo for them as they danced outside of the church. It was funny since that is one of only a few songs that I know in Spanish! Everyone was feeding the pigeons in the plaza and you could tell the kids really loved playing with them or shall I say scaring they away. At times, a hundred or so would take flight together around the plaza and then land back in the same plaza. I also met some Beligians in the same plaza who are planning to film a documentary on the medicinal plants the rural Bolivians and Peruvians use while they are here.

Interesting Mountains and Suspension Bridge in La Paz

I will be leaving La Paz on Monday morning and heading to Copacabana on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca. A few of you have been asking me if I know or plan to sing the song Copacabana while I am there. I just remembered that Brazil has a much more famous Copacabana and it is likely the subject of that song ;)

For those who might not know, I will be travelling around Peru for most of three weeks before returning to Seattle on October 19th.

I hope you are all doing well!

No hay comentarios: